Important Disclaimer

Since I currently have several employers/supervisors/churches/etc., please know that none of the words on my blog represent them or their beliefs. This blog is my own creation.

It also does not represent my children's perspective, nor my mother's; they think I am funny, but misguided.
(Quick update: only my mother thinks I'm funny now.)

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Arise My Fair One

I often post my sermons on my pastor's blog. Here's the beginning of today's sermon and link to get you to the rest. It was a sermon on the Song of Songs, one of my favorite parts of scripture.


Sermon, Sunday October 24, 2010
by Katie Mulligan

Scripture Readings: Song of Songs 2:8-14 and Matthew 11:28-30

So, a love poem and a few words from Jesus. Our theme this morning is love and desire, passion, and finding peace in the arms of a beloved other.  I wish I could tell you that today’s texts come from the lectionary, that I am not responsible for their selection, for to speak of love and desire is always risky. In our Prayer of Confession this morning we prayed these words: “Almighty and merciful God, we have erred and strayed from your ways like lost sheep. We have followed too much the devices and desires of our own hearts. We have offended against your holy laws.” It may be that we too often follow the devices and desires of our own hearts, but I wonder sometimes if we Presbyterians might be more guilty of following our rational heads too much. So I must admit that I chose these texts this morning, for in the midst of a hard and busy schedule, I am longing for the playfulness of falling in love.

Click here to read the rest

Love to you all!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful passages, and just as beautiful that you connected them to one another. Much food for reflection. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete