Important Disclaimer

Since I currently have several employers/supervisors/churches/etc., please know that none of the words on my blog represent them or their beliefs. This blog is my own creation.

It also does not represent my children's perspective, nor my mother's; they think I am funny, but misguided.
(Quick update: only my mother thinks I'm funny now.)

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Regarding Coconuts & Avocados

My twitter friends and I speak often of food. Usually we speak of delightful food, shared with friends, wine preferences, and the occasional skirmishes over who drinks coffee or tea (I'm a shameful sellout to both parties). But every now and then we talk about food loathings. One of my tweeps detests coconut. For me its avocado. In all forms, shapes, sizes, states of ripeness, creativeness of presentation, regardless of what ELSE you put with it our which grandma's recipe you used. I loathe avocado. And even, as I told her, I loathe the smugness of people trying to convert me to liking avocado.

While reading for class from Julia Kristeva's Powers of Horror: An Essay on Abjection, I came across this paragraph on food loathing. THIS is what I mean.
Loathing an item of food, a piece of filth, waste, or dung. The spasms and vomiting that protect me. The repugnance, the retching that thrusts me to the side and turns me away from defilement, sewage, and muck...Food loathing is perhaps the most elementary and most archaic form of abjection. When the eyes see or the lips touch that skin on the surface of milk--harmless, thin as a sheet of cigarette paper, pitiful as a nail paring--I experience a gagging sensation and, still farther down, spasms in the stomach, the belly; and all the organs shrivel up the body, provoke tears and bile, increase heartbeat, cause forehead and hands to expire. Along with sight-clouding dizziness, nausea makes me balk at that milk cream, separates me from the mother and father who proffer it...
She goes on to talk of rotting flesh and wounds with pus. So yeah. Avocados and coconuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.