Important Disclaimer

Since I currently have several employers/supervisors/churches/etc., please know that none of the words on my blog represent them or their beliefs. This blog is my own creation.

It also does not represent my children's perspective, nor my mother's; they think I am funny, but misguided.
(Quick update: only my mother thinks I'm funny now.)

Sunday, July 24, 2011

The McFlurry


Somewhat frazzled, on vacation with my children, I stopped in at McDonald's to satisfy the boys' ice cream cravings. I thought I understood my youngest's instructions, so I began our order:


Me: We would like an ice cream in a cup. (I was deliberately avoiding the word "cone" because we didn't want one of those. But we didn't want a Sundae, so it felt like I needed to preface ice cream with "an".)

Poor Guy at Counter (PGC): You want an ice cream cone in a cup?

Me: No. Just ice cream in a cup.

PGC: Oh. You mean a sundae?

Me: Yes, but with nothing on it.

PGC: (nods) Would you like nuts?


--This question catches me off guard, as I'm sort of astonished we haven't reached an understanding yet.


Me: No. No nuts. Just ice cream in a cup.

PGC: oh, okay. A sundae with no toppings. Got it.

Youngest Son (YS): Mooooooommmm! I said I wanted m&m's!!!!

Me: You mean you want a McFlurry?

Youngest Son: YES!!

PGC: (rolls eyes ever so slightly) oh. a McFlurry. Got it.


I stood there feeling a bit foolish, until the next guy walked up to the register and said, "I'd like an ice cream in a cup." And the server said, "You mean an ice cream cone in a cup?"

Well, at least it's not just me.

1 comment:

  1. We all think communication should be easy but it really takes perseverance and patience! At least you all stayed at the table till things got clearer!

    wandika

    ReplyDelete