Important Disclaimer

Since I currently have several employers/supervisors/churches/etc., please know that none of the words on my blog represent them or their beliefs. This blog is my own creation.

It also does not represent my children's perspective, nor my mother's; they think I am funny, but misguided.
(Quick update: only my mother thinks I'm funny now.)

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Intimate Violence: Sabbath

I am taking a break today. Church council meeting is done. Church is done. Labyrinth is dedicated. Kittens have been visited. Children have been fed. Time to rest before the week ahead. Sometimes honoring the sabbath means putting the pen down and closing the computer. It is hard for the Spirit to restore a body and mind in constant motion. I suspect that the Spirit of God is mightily antagonized when it is trying to settle and we are restless. Silence is not always possible in this life, but I might aim for stillness.

Some wise words from Dr. Emilie Townes:
"Finally, you must give yourself permission to be tired and weary, besides, you must also find ways of renewal so that you can be a creative and healthy participant in dismantling oppressions. Burned out, bitter people do not help bring in justice very often and they are of little help in any search for [T]ruth."
~Emilie M. Townes, Womanist ethics and the cultural production of evil 
 (NY: Macmillan, 2006), 78.

And from Vijay Prashad, who I heard speak in 2010 at an education day dedicated to Mumia Abu-Jamal, the abolition of the death penalty, and prison reform/abolition. I overheard this advice he gave to a young woman asking how to make a difference in the world:

"Find something you can do that's in front of you...and enjoy the work. You're allowed to enjoy the work."

May your day be free of violence and fear. May your children be safe. May you know love and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.