Important Disclaimer

Since I currently have several employers/supervisors/churches/etc., please know that none of the words on my blog represent them or their beliefs. This blog is my own creation.

It also does not represent my children's perspective, nor my mother's; they think I am funny, but misguided.
(Quick update: only my mother thinks I'm funny now.)

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Art Journal, February 14-19, 2012

Art meditations on a daily lectionary February 14-19, 2012.

For those of you who think you can't "do art" consider an art journal. I'm enjoying these meditations much more than I thought I would. A friend asked for suggestions on how to start, so I wrote out what I'm doing below the art.

Sunday, February 19, 2012
"A New Hope" On Matthew 17:3
And there appeared to them Elijah with Moses, who were talking with Jesus.



















(the rest of the week after the jump)


Saturday, February 18, 2012
"Fever Dreams" On Luke 4:39
The Jesus stood over her and rebuked the fever, and it left her.




















Friday, February 17, 201
"Redemptive Suffering, My Donkey" On Hebrews 12:7
Endure trials for the sake of discipline.




















Thursday, February 16, 2012
"in THIS place" A meditation on Chronicles 7:15
Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayer that is made in this place.



















Wednesday, February 15, 2012
"Never Still" A meditation on Job 30:27: 
My inward parts are in turmoil and are never still.



















Tuesday, February 14, 2012
"None Shall Pass" A meditation on 2 Kings 7:3
Why should we sit here until we die?


One way to start an art journal:


1) The night before read through the daily lectionary passages for the morning. Here's a daily lectionary.

2) Pick out a short phrase from the passages that catches your attention. Sometimes this takes more than one read. Write the phrase on a page in your journal.

3) Sleep on it.

4) In the morning pick up the journal and your pens and pencils. Start to doodle. Stick figures, lines, impressions, thoughts--anything that comes to mind. If other scriptures connect add them to the paper. If other thoughts connect, write them down. Color in your doodles, bracket off scriptures with lines and designs. There's no right way to do this. And therefore no wrong way, either.

5) Don't worry about whether a Hebrew or Greek scholar would agree with your interpretation.

6) Enjoy your art.

No comments:

Post a Comment