Important Disclaimer

Since I currently have several employers/supervisors/churches/etc., please know that none of the words on my blog represent them or their beliefs. This blog is my own creation.

It also does not represent my children's perspective, nor my mother's; they think I am funny, but misguided.
(Quick update: only my mother thinks I'm funny now.)

Monday, February 27, 2012

Art Journal, February 27-March 4, 2012

Art meditations on a daily lectionary: February 27-March 4, 2012.

Taking some time away from journaling as life got wild for a bit and there just wasn't space. This happens sometimes.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012
"The Body of Christ" on John 3:30
He must increase, but I must decrease.




"The reign of God is a warm, flesh, all-encompassing body with
enough spare flesh for all to be nourished."
~Elizabeth Stuart in Lisa Isherwood's The Fat Jesus


the rest of the week after the jump




Tuesday, February 28, 2012
"Reparations" on Hosea 14:7
They shall again live beneath my shadow.























Monday, February 27, 2012
"Apology to My Sister"on 2 Corinthians 2:2
For if I cause you pain, who is there to make me glad but the one whom I have pained?






















One way to start an art journal:


1) The night before read through the daily lectionary passages for the morning. Here's a daily lectionary.

2) Pick out a short phrase from the passages that catches your attention. Sometimes this takes more than one read. Write the phrase on a page in your journal.

3) Sleep on it.

4) In the morning pick up the journal and your pens and pencils. Start to doodle. Stick figures, lines, impressions, thoughts--anything that comes to mind. If other scriptures connect add them to the paper. If other thoughts connect, write them down. Color in your doodles, bracket off scriptures with lines and designs. There's no right way to do this. And therefore no wrong way, either.

5) Don't worry about whether a Hebrew or Greek scholar would agree with your interpretation.

6) Enjoy your art.

3 comments:

  1. I guess I can use that as an excuse for some of my craziness...my big sister dropped me off the teeter totter. ;-)

    That's okay hun...I do remember the bunk bed incident and you do still have a scar from it however faint it might be...yet another cracked head for me though...hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bunkbed thing, you took a chunk out of my stomach with your teeth. I'm gonna call that a draw.

      Delete
  2. I did something of the sort to my brother, only a bit nastier. It was a large teeter-totter with mostly-buried tires as stops under each end. I hooked my feet into one, held my end down as much as I could for a while, then jumped off. I got into trouble for it, though.

    ReplyDelete