Important Disclaimer

Since I currently have several employers/supervisors/churches/etc., please know that none of the words on my blog represent them or their beliefs. This blog is my own creation.

It also does not represent my children's perspective, nor my mother's; they think I am funny, but misguided.
(Quick update: only my mother thinks I'm funny now.)

Monday, February 13, 2012

The Morning: A Parable for the Church

I decided a week ago to reconcile with The Morning. I have wrestled with The Morning for 39 years and lost every single day. I have cursed it, cussed it, spat at it. I have tried to best The Morning by not sleeping until The Afternoon. I have tried sleeping early in The Night in an attempt to trick myself.

I have tried coffee--even Kirk's coffee. I have tried fasting, feasting, showering and not. I have refused to acknowledge The Morning several days in a row.

An actual sunrise from my window
But each day The Morning returns, with a promise just out of my reach. And each day I stumble through, longing for the day when I might start my days with The Afternoon. Or at least Elevensies.

Last Monday I woke up and growled at The Morning. The Morning did not respond. The Day went badly. And it occurred to me that The Morning will come to me again and again, and I am wasting effort hating The Morning. So I decided to reconcile.

I got up yesterday morning and I sang hymns. The day went well. I only cursed at The Morning once. I think I woke the neighbors with "Great Is The Lord."

I decided to art journal. I decided I would find one phrase each night from the next day's lectionary and write it in my journal at the end of the day. That way I could sleep on it, and start the day with God's word.

My prayer corner
These habits I am trying to form may wear off in a week. I have the attention span of a sparrow, flitting here and there. But you know what will stick with me? The reading for tomorrow: 
Now there were four leprous men outside the city gate, who said to one another, ‘Why should we sit here until we die? If we say, “Let us enter the city”, the famine is in the city, and we shall die there; but if we sit here, we shall also die. (2 Kings 7:3-4)

In my journal are the words, "Why should we sit here until we die?" In the morning I will greet The Morning with this scripture. And then I will say, "Run and tell that."

4 comments:

  1. Going to sleep now, smiling at the thought of this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, are you going to give a Valentimes card to the morning? I love this. As a morning person who deals with depression (which turns mornings into pain pain pain) I get this...because I hate it when I hate mornings. You rock, lady. You rock.

    xo,
    SL

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an eternal morning person, I struggle with the evening. I much more prefer 4 am as a wake up call than 4 am as a bedtime.

    I guess what I'm saying is that I share your struggle, only from the other side. I pray that at least you can come to an easy truce with morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you are speaking about more than just morning. Why indeed, should we sit here until we die--as people, as society, and especially as the current incarnation of the church?

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.