Important Disclaimer

Since I currently have several employers/supervisors/churches/etc., please know that none of the words on my blog represent them or their beliefs. This blog is my own creation.

It also does not represent my children's perspective, nor my mother's; they think I am funny, but misguided.
(Quick update: only my mother thinks I'm funny now.)

Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Snail's Pace

via http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1039003/
My life right now feels like a snail's life. Slow, steady, focused on what is most immediately in front of me. I'm moving slowly and so, it seems, are most of the people I am dependent upon for work, friendship, and life in general.

At least in part, this is because people moving at lightning speed have long since sprinted past me to wherever it is they are going.

And in part this is because children grow at a snail's pace. And for the last ten years and the next ten years, I am wrapped up in these beautiful children of mine.

And partly, I have become convinced that a snail's pace allows for a fascinating experience of life. 

But everyday, and oh yes, I do mean everyday, for a moment or two I think longingly of a faster paced life. I miss the exhilaration of performing 72 tasks at once and doing them more or less well. I miss not having to think about the sorrows and pains of life because there are so many intriguing things to do that I don't have time to think about them. I miss the joy of being caught up in the raging winds of spirit and life and excitement.

And then I remember that when snails get dropped from great heights by the winds that their shells crack and they get eaten by other creatures. So for now, a snail. And for now, a snail's pace.


1 comment:

  1. I'm in the middle of both...some things are snail-ish, some things are not. I can see some snailish years on the horizon and they're looking good, but I have far to go. Thanks for this post, sweetie.

    xo,
    SL

    ReplyDelete