Important Disclaimer

Since I currently have several employers/supervisors/churches/etc., please know that none of the words on my blog represent them or their beliefs. This blog is my own creation.

It also does not represent my children's perspective, nor my mother's; they think I am funny, but misguided.
(Quick update: only my mother thinks I'm funny now.)

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Deer Don't Have Wings


Whitley Bay poster
When I first moved to New Jersey, I was astonished to see geese still hanging out in the snow. I thought for sure they were migratory birds and flew south for the winter.

And then I realized they were Canadian geese, and that New Jersey is south of Canada at least by a few miles. And I supposed that New Jersey was warmer than Canada, but it seemed to me that was a matter of semantics, because cold is cold. 

Of course, I know better than that, as my Canadian friends assure me, "You don't know cold, mortal." But I just thought that if I was a goose, Canadian or not, I'd fly at least as far as South Carolina.

But then again, I was also astonished to see the deer here in the New Jersey winter. It took me a good minute to remember that deer don't have wings, and they don't fly south. 

Someday, when I'm old and the children think I know something again, I'm going to take this wrinkly, sagging bag of bones and a purple plaid bikini off to the beaches of south Florida. I'll probably tweet about it too--right up to the moment I get et by a shark.

2 comments:

  1. A friend has corrected me that these are not Canadian geese. They are Canada geese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, wow. Don't think I new that. Canada/Canadian geese. The beach sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete