Important Disclaimer

Since I currently have several employers/supervisors/churches/etc., please know that none of the words on my blog represent them or their beliefs. This blog is my own creation.

It also does not represent my children's perspective, nor my mother's; they think I am funny, but misguided.
(Quick update: only my mother thinks I'm funny now.)

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Monday Sabbath

It has been a very long time since I had a job where I didn't work Sundays. In fact, it has been since 2001, when I first started working for the church as an employee (how is it possible that was only 11 years ago??). For a long time now, I have simply rested on whatever day was open in the week. Most of the time that was the day of the week when I didn't have anything that had to be done immediately, so that a day off didn't put me far behind.

These days, though, there's never a day when there isn't work that needs to be done immediately. In fact, I am past due on all kinds of stuff, and the never-ending, self-critical ticker-tape parade of things that must be done keeps me going at quite a pace. It's good to be busy. It's good to be working. And it's good work too--the students and their families are a delight!

A few weeks ago I realized I hadn't taken a day off in a while, and there didn't look to be a good day to take off anytime soon either. So I decided to declare Monday my sabbath day.

It's a lot harder than I thought it would be.


That ticker-tape parade doesn't stop--it just keeps rolling in the back of my eyeballs. Last Monday I tried to read a book, but I couldn't focus on the words as the to-do list taunted me from the edges of my consciousness. I turned to Dr. Who and lost myself in extra-dimensional space and time travel, because I didn't have to think while watching this Dr. or that Dr. decorate the screen.

I have never before held firm to a sabbath day, and I gotta tell you, I don't like it. I'd rather rest on a day when it didn't feel like the whole world was going to fall apart for not working. But I don't know when a day like that is going to come again. 

And then there's the fact that there's a whole lot of ego wrapped up in the idea that the world will fall apart if I don't work. So there's that.

So tonight I'm sliding into home, and I'll be back up to bat on Tuesday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment