Important Disclaimer

Since I currently have several employers/supervisors/churches/etc., please know that none of the words on my blog represent them or their beliefs. This blog is my own creation.

It also does not represent my children's perspective, nor my mother's; they think I am funny, but misguided.
(Quick update: only my mother thinks I'm funny now.)

Friday, November 2, 2012

A Tangled Web of Nothing

I haven't blogged in a while, mostly because I've been very busy living and working. Blogging takes dedicated hours of time, and I've not had any of those lately. Or actually, I haven't had any dedicated hours of time that I was willing to give to blogging.

October was Domestic Violence Awareness Month, and last year I dedicated quite a bit of blogging time to that subject. This year, I felt the weight of memories in a different way and stayed silent. I'm working in and around a lot of other people's triggers, memories, and fears on a daily basis, and I've cherished the quiet times I can carve out with no people around. 

I miss writing regularly.

This month is National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo for short. Thousands of people take 30 days and write a 50,000 word novel, beginning November 1 and crossing the finish line by November 30. None of us are pretending this will be the novel of the century, but many of us will actually finish a complete novel, and how cool is that?

Last year I started a novel I called "The Snail." I got stuck and distracted, and didn't get through it. But this year I thought I would try again. This year's novel shall be called, "A Tangled Web of Nothing." 

Between the busyness and the extra-tropical-storm Sandy and the heaviness of memories that lurked last month, I think my state of mind might be best described as a tangled web of nothing. Here's to hoping that regular writing will make something of those strands.

If you're doing NaNoWriMo this year, my user name is grammercie. Feel free to friend me there. Or comment here and I'll cheer you on.

There is something about putting words to paper that clarifies, shapes, re-invents, invigorates me. As much as sabbath, putting pen to paper is about restoration and spiritual discipline. So here goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment