Important Disclaimer

Since I currently have several employers/supervisors/churches/etc., please know that none of the words on my blog represent them or their beliefs. This blog is my own creation.

It also does not represent my children's perspective, nor my mother's; they think I am funny, but misguided.
(Quick update: only my mother thinks I'm funny now.)

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

I Can Haz Snow Day

I was about to head to church for a meeting tonight, when the email came:

"Due to the weather, we have postponed tonight's meeting until Thursday. Please be safe and stay off the roads if you can."

I live in winter purgatory New Jersey, and so we get a fair amount of hell freezing over freezing rain, black ice, and wintry mix. This means there's not enough snow to justify snow days in the eyes of the
rest of the world, but the roads are slippery and awful, and when added to the rest of Jersey traffic, today's wintry mix means we should all stay home until May Friday.

Since October, the children have prayed for snow with the fervency of condemned sinners. They have been on their knees begging God for the miracle of frozen precipitation. They don't want to play in it, they just want a snow day. In fact they want all the snow days, never mind that they have to make them up in the spring. They want to sleep late and stay in their pajamas and eat when they want and play video games and snap chat and tumbler lolcats. 

They want me to still have to go to work on their snow days. 
Unless they are hungry, in which case they want me to come home right now. With food.

They aren't the only ones, though. My twitter and facebook are full of hopeful prayers for snow days. Except for pastors. And people who still have to work, even if it snows. And people who lose money everytime it snows.

When a snow day is called, and the world shuts down for a few hours, or even a day, people post about napping and cooking and boozeing drinking cocoa and other frisky indoor activities.

And then the snow stops and the roads are plowed and we shovel out our cars and we throw ourselves straight back into the relentless everyday busyness that most of us sustain ourselves with. 

A snow day, for those of us fortunate enough to enjoy them, is a sabbath.
A snow day is a sabbath you don't have to feel guilty about.
It's a reminder (for me at least), that we are desperate for sabbath in our lives. 

So yeah, we call those snow days to keep ourselves off the roads.
But there's a part of us that calls those snow days to gasp grasp after rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.