Important Disclaimer

Since I currently have several employers/supervisors/churches/etc., please know that none of the words on my blog represent them or their beliefs. This blog is my own creation.

It also does not represent my children's perspective, nor my mother's; they think I am funny, but misguided.
(Quick update: only my mother thinks I'm funny now.)

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Apology Accepted, 20 Years Belated

O how abundant is your goodness 
          that you have laid up for those who fear you, 
     and accomplished for those who take refuge in you, 
          in the sight of everyone! 
In the shelter of your presence you hide them 
          from human plots; 
     you hold them safe under your shelter 
          from contentious tongues.
Psalm 31:19-20
Somewhere in Philadelphia when I was meeting my friend, Rudy
Once upon a time, there was a boy and a girl. And the boy was high on cocaine, flying like a bird. And the girl did not notice because she was 19 just that day, and spinning, spinning drunk. And some things happened that the girl was not conscious of until later. And then she threw the boy out at 2am and would not take his calls.

A few months later, the girl had moved twice across town and went about her life. And there was a knock on the door, and there was the boy. The girl started to slam the door, but his foot caught it open.

Before cell phones, you see.

And the boy held open the door and said, "No, wait! I wanted to say I'm sorry."

Out of the boy poured a tale of sobriety and regret, but the girl couldn't hear it. When he was done she asked, "How did you get my address?"

And the boy told of how he had a friend who worked in the admissions office at the community college.

"Are you done?" the girl asked. And the boy nodded.

"Don't come again," she said. And he went away.

Sometimes repentance is not really repentance, and reparations do more damage. Don't put your foot in the door.

1 comment: