Important Disclaimer

Since I currently have several employers/supervisors/churches/etc., please know that none of the words on my blog represent them or their beliefs. This blog is my own creation.

It also does not represent my children's perspective, nor my mother's; they think I am funny, but misguided.
(Quick update: only my mother thinks I'm funny now.)

Sunday, March 30, 2014

I Will Yet Live

If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies also through his Spirit that dwells in you.

So then, brothers and sisters, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh - for if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received a spirit of adoption. When we cry, "Abba! Father!" it is that very Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ - if, in fact, we suffer with him so that we may also be glorified with him.


~Romans 8:11-17

I bought this from a sidewalk artist in Santa Barbara, CA.
He said he draws what is in his head to keep his sanity.


I once made a painting of a girl being devoured by a snake. While I drew, my son dreamed of being eaten by snakes. He woke in the other room screaming, without ever having seen my painting (nor
would I show it to him). Body and spirit are so closely linked. Bodies and spirits are so closely linked--we shadow one another, project to one another, emotions swirl around us binding one to the other until we can barely move without disturbing the souls close to us.

I once made a painting of a girl being devoured by a snake. I don't show it, because it isn't...decent. It was raw and powerful and real, the girl on an altar with the words "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" It was a desperate work of art in a desperate time, expelling demons and fears and rage long stored up. The birth of my children had knocked loose not-quite-forgotten things, and now they poured out freely, craving expression, voice, concreteness.

I once made a painting of a girl being devoured by a snake, so that by the Spirit I put to death the deeds of the body, the deeds of another body, and I will yet live. 

I do not yet know the disposition of the snake. It is not mine to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.