Important Disclaimer

Since I currently have several employers/supervisors/churches/etc., please know that none of the words on my blog represent them or their beliefs. This blog is my own creation.

It also does not represent my children's perspective, nor my mother's; they think I am funny, but misguided.
(Quick update: only my mother thinks I'm funny now.)

Monday, April 14, 2014

Boy Kings and Temper Tantrums

On the following day, when they came from Bethany, he was hungry. Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see whether perhaps he would find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. He said to it, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again." And his disciples heard it...

In the morning as they passed by, they saw the fig tree withered away to its roots. Then Peter remembered and said to him, "Rabbi, look! The fig tree that you cursed has withered." Jesus answered them, "Have faith in God. Truly I tell you, if you say to this mountain, 'Be taken up and thrown into the sea,' and if you do not doubt in your heart, but believe that what you say will come to pass, it will be done for you. So I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

"Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone; so that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses."


~Mark 11:12-14, 20-25




















Ruining a perfectly good fig tree
just because it didn't see fit
to produce fruit

at the last minute
out of season
to please a boy king

I'll tell you what, a person gets tired
of pleasing boy kings
soothing their temper tantrums
de-escalating
knowing one's place
walking on egg shells
producing fruit out of season
because His Highness is hungry

y'all ran out of loaves and fishes
that you gotta wreck the poor fig tree
before it's time?
what's next?
you gonna come into Martha's kitchen
and grouse about how she's not serving you right?
oh wait.
you did do that.

when all is said and done,
you'll be holding your hand out
saying "trust me--walk on water"
and I'll be thinking about that fig tree
knowing that taking your hand
carries significant risk
of drowning

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.