Important Disclaimer

Since I currently have several employers/supervisors/churches/etc., please know that none of the words on my blog represent them or their beliefs. This blog is my own creation.

It also does not represent my children's perspective, nor my mother's; they think I am funny, but misguided.
(Quick update: only my mother thinks I'm funny now.)

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Stick With the Psalms

Even the sparrow finds a home, 
          and the swallow a nest for herself, 
          where she may lay her young, 
     at your altars, O LORD of hosts, 
          my King and my God. 
Happy are those who live in your house, 
          ever singing your praise.  

~Psalm 84:3-4


















They say Jesus came and gave us a kinder, gentler Gospel. Oh the Good News of Jesus Christ tames the harshness of the Hebrew Scriptures, they say.

I think they don't read their Bibles very well.

As they were going along the road, someone said to him, ‘I will follow you wherever you go.’ And Jesus said to him, ‘Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.’ To another he said, ‘Follow me.’ But he said, ‘Lord, first let me go and bury my father.’ But Jesus* said to him, ‘Let the dead bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.’ Another said, ‘I will follow you, Lord; but let me first say farewell to those at my home.’ Jesus said to him, ‘No one who puts a hand to the plough and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.’
~Luke 9:57-62

He doesn't even say "Home is where the heart is" or "Your home will be with me." No. The sparrow gets a home, the swallow a nest. Even foxes have holes. But if you follow Jesus, home becomes whatever kindness is shown to you along the way.

And you're not even supposed to look back and grieve that.

I should just stick with the psalms.

No comments:

Post a Comment