Important Disclaimer

Since I currently have several employers/supervisors/churches/etc., please know that none of the words on my blog represent them or their beliefs. This blog is my own creation.

It also does not represent my children's perspective, nor my mother's; they think I am funny, but misguided.
(Quick update: only my mother thinks I'm funny now.)

Friday, April 11, 2014

The Love of Ghosts

Then the LORD said to Moses, "Rise up early in the morning and present yourself before Pharaoh, and say to him, 'Thus says the LORD, the God of the Hebrews: Let my people go, so that they may worship me. For this time I will send all my plagues upon you yourself, and upon your officials, and upon your people, so that you may know that there is no one like me in all the earth. For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with pestilence, and you would have been cut off from the earth. But this is why I have let you live: to show you my power, and to make my name resound through all the earth. You are still exalting yourself against my people, and will not let them go. Tomorrow at this time I will cause the heaviest hail to fall that has ever fallen in Egypt from the day it was founded until now.
~Exodus 9:13-18



















I wonder what were the justifications in Pharaoh's mind
that he wouldn't let the Israelites go?
what did he tell himself in the quiet of the night
pondering his options?
I have some sympathy for his plight.

we like to say we live in a kinder, gentler age
that we have learned our lessons about owning people.
but let us look, shall we, to our own house?
wrapping expectation and obligation
like vines around trees
slowly strangling the life out of the people we love
until they cannot catch the sunlight
choking off their oxygen supply
until like animals cornered they lash out.
or die.

Children, lovers, friends, colleagues
brothers, sisters, parents, neighbors
we pin them in neat little boxes 
and tape them shut
expecting them not to claw their way out
surprised when they cut us in the process.

I sat last night thinking about this
and the Lord said
You are still exalting yourself against my people, 
and will not let them go
but I am weary of the plagues and calamities
so let me open my hands.
blessings on your journey.

"I know by now that the love of ghosts in not expectant, and I am coming to that. This Virgie of mine, this newfound"Virge," is the last care of my life, and I know the ignorance I must cherish him in. I must care of him as I care for a wildflower or a singing bird, no terms, no expectations, as finally I care for Port William and the ones who have been her with me. I want to leave her openhanded, with only the ancient blessing, 'Good-bye. My love to you all.'"
~Wendell Berry, Hannah Coulter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.