Important Disclaimer

Since I currently have several employers/supervisors/churches/etc., please know that none of the words on my blog represent them or their beliefs. This blog is my own creation.

It also does not represent my children's perspective, nor my mother's; they think I am funny, but misguided.
(Quick update: only my mother thinks I'm funny now.)

Friday, June 6, 2014

Then What Good Are Ya?

photo by Artur Chalyj
A bunch of years ago, I worked as a chaplain for a locked mental health unit. I liked the work--every day was a new day with interesting conversations--conversations you really couldn't have anywhere else. In a locked mental health unit, people aren't afraid to be their true selves; they have no filter and nothing to lose, really.

It was there I met Jesus, John the Baptist, and the woman who would bear the next Christ child. Also a Muslim man who asked for rosaries so he could perform baptisms.


One day, a new woman arrived on the floor. Thinking it was my job to be hospitable, I introduced myself. The conversation went like this:

Me: Hi, I'm Chaplain Mulligan (they made us call ourselves that)
Lady: Huh.
Me: Would you like to talk with a chaplain (a required opening gambit)
Lady: Not really. I'd like a hair dryer. Can you get me a hair dryer?
Me: Oh. No, I can't get you a hair dryer. What brought you here? (more of the script)
Lady: I said I didn't want to talk to you. Can you get me a hair dryer or not?
Me: No, I can't.
Lady: Then what good are ya?
Me: Huh.

I mean, I really couldn't get her a hair dryer, no lie. 
And she really didn't want to talk to anyone unless they could get her a hair dryer.
So, really, what good was I?

My work lately is a lot like that.
I got something to offer.
But it isn't really what is needed.

So.

She told me her story a few days later, the lady did. A hair dryer was probably about 22nd on the list of things she really needed. But I couldn't get her the 21 other things that she needed either

She was gone a day after that.
Probably back home where she had a hair dryer.
Although, I don't think home had the other 21 things.

But I was gone a week after that, having served my time.
I wonder sometimes if she remembers the chaplain who couldn't even get her a hair dryer.
She sure sticks out in my mind.

eh. still working tho.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.