Important Disclaimer

Since I currently have several employers/supervisors/churches/etc., please know that none of the words on my blog represent them or their beliefs. This blog is my own creation.

It also does not represent my children's perspective, nor my mother's; they think I am funny, but misguided.
(Quick update: only my mother thinks I'm funny now.)

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Mosquito Love

"Mentholatum" Miami University LIbraries
An unpleasant little poem
about an unpleasant little bug
dedicated to the Holy Spirit
who is on my last nerve.

I have wondered for a while
why God made mosquitos
They serve no purpose, save
irritation
on every level
the incessant whine of a skeeter
whirling about
one's body
the blood sucking
(and disease passing
sometimes mosquitos mean death)
the welts
left 
behind
one
by
one
the itch that lasts
for days
the way a perfectly good porch sitting

can be ruined at dusk
by
one
pesky
skeeter
intent on sucking the life out
of a perfectly good day
literally
and even if you kill the damn thing
you're spilling your own blood
seeing as how it just gorged
on your flesh
why on earth, God?

and then it came to me in prayer
this week
the mosquito
is the image of God
biting after us
in our complacency
we are led beside still waters
where
mosquito
larvae
thrive
and at dusk
when it seems we might settle
in
for a while, anyway
out come the mosquitos
to bite
and whine
and nettle
and unsettle

nothing like a mosquito
to get me out of my porch chair

I met an older pastor last week
didn't even get his name
nor did he ask mine
but we talked of something or other
and I said
"yeah, God is a jerk"
he said, "I like your style."

you want proof I'm right?
the mosquito
that's what.
the Holy Spirit lately
been whining
biting
welting
itching
irr-
i-
tating
knocking me off my porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment